When I was in a fraternity, we had a secret handshake. It was straight out of Animal House (1978). We actually made fun of it a lot. And yet, to this day, I can identify other people who have been in my fraternity by following that same ridiculous ritual. The same sort of rules apply to identifying a fellow movie geek. None of us can keep a poker face when certain topics arise. Here are just 20 signs that you’re a movie geek.
1. Film company idents elicit a Pavlovian response of excitement.
2. You have strong opinions about digital projection.
3. Half of your DVR is full of TCM films.
4. You can name two or more cinematographers.
5. You once broke up with someone because of their taste in movies.
6. The name “Kino” means something to you.
7. You own a region-free DVD player, and…
8. a VCR just in case you can’t find a DVD copy of a movie.
9. You’ve bought multiple copies of the same movie because of the bonus features.
10. The word “subtext” is in your vernacular when you talk about movies.
11. People are too intimidated to talk about movies with you.
12. You have a favorite film movement.
13. The mere mention of Michael Bay’s name makes you angry.
14. You admire Ed Wood’s enthusiasm, if not his quality.
15. You know what a foley artist does…
16. and you have a favorite foley artist.
17. You’ve ever become a bigger fan of a filmmaker because of their Criterion Top 10 list.
18. Alex DeLarge’s outfit from A Clockwork Orange seems like a great Halloween costume for you… to put on a child.
19. Watching a dubbed movie sounds like nails on chalkboard.
20. You have favorite film critics.