You know how this goes. You’re watching a comedy and it slowly builds up the humor to the point that you just can’t take it anymore, and your sides start to hurt.
Just to clarify, no movie has ever actually made me piss my pants. Hooray, bladder control!
1. Puttin’ on the Ritz, Young Frankenstein
Hearing Peter Boyle’s monster wail out the tune pushed me over the edge.
2. The chase scene, Seven Chances
Buster Keaton being chased by a horde of angry, jilted brides. And it keeps going and going and going and going…
3. Gene Wilder falls in love with a sheep, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (but were afraid to ask)
Ok, ok, sex with farm animals is sort of cliché, lowest common denominator humor. But it’s the way that Wilder sells it that makes it so great. There’s also the cross-dresser scene in this same movie, but I couldn’t find a Youtube clip so I left it out.
4. The fake pimple cream ad, Putney Swope
Probably the funniest movie you’ve never heard of, Robert Downey Sr. skewers… well, everything- race relations, the advertising world, large corporations, and more.
5. Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) is back for revenge on the old folks, Hot Fuzz
It’s pitch-perfect satire of action movies and spaghetti Westerns. And apparently NBC/Universal won’t allow it on Youtube. So just go rent the movie or stick it in your Netflix queue and wait until the final 20 minutes or so. You’ll see what I mean.